Canadian Fertility Consultants – The following information is provided to help you select a reproductive specialist.
Factors to Consider
The following are some important factors to consider when searching for your fertility doctor or service:
- Success/pregnancy rates
- Qualifications and experience of personnel
- Types of patients being treated
- Support services available
- Recommendations & Reputation
To further your research, the success rates of reproductive clinics are available at the following links:
It is important to note that these numbers are two to three years old and can sometimes be reported differently by different centers, so these figures should not be the only factor that you consider.
The following are sample questions that may help you make an informed decision:
- What procedures do you offer?
- How much experience do you have in these procedures and what are your success rates?
- What are your criteria for seeing patients (e.g. waiting list, age limits, single vs. married, etc.)?
- What screening tests are required?
- What is the time commitment?
- Does the program meet and follow ASRM guidelines?
- Does the program report its results to the SART Registry and the CDC?
- Is the program a member of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology?
- How many physicians will be involved in my care?
- Are your physicians board certified in reproductive endocrinology and in good medical standing?
- What types of counseling and support services are available?
- Do you have an outline of the costs of the tests and procedures I may need?
- What are your available payment options?
- Is staff accessible to answer questions about treatment, forms, or payment?
- Do you accept insurance?
- What are the on-going storage costs of tissues (sperm, eggs, etc.)?
Choosing a doctor can be complicated and overwhelming! But don’t worry, we are here for you every step of the way!